AHF SPECIAL ACTION ALERT: H.RES. 191 - April 22nd, 2005
SEE UPDATE I - Additional Action Needed!
www.americanhungarianfederation.org / www.amsz.org
JOIN NOW! It's time to work together.
Next Generation - We Want You! JOIN
Can't see this in full color? Go to AHF Publications or download the eNewsletter
Miért van ez Angolul?
4/8/2005 - HOT NEWS ALERT: House Resolution 191 moves forward urging the "prompt and fair restitution of church properties by Rumania." AHF strongly supports this measure and will continue its efforts aimed at swift adoption.
“We applaud Representatives Tom Lantos (D-CA) and Tom Tancredo (R-CO) for their leadership on an issue that goes to the very heart of democracy, rule of law and minority rights in Rumania – the return of religious properties illegally confiscated by the former Communist government,” noted Frank Koszorus, Jr. “This has been a long process, beginning with statements in 2002 by Representatives Lantos, Tancredo and Robert Matsui urging the prompt and fair restitution of properties by Romania and Slovakia and continuing in 2004 when Representative Tancredo introduced a similar resolution that was cosponsored by 15 Members,” he added.
Like last year’s resolution 632, (seen below), H.RES 191 calls on Rumania to return properties to religious communities, including the historic Hungarian churches. You and AHF can play an important role. In order for H. Res. 191 to be adopted quickly, it needs cosponsors. ACT NOW!
HOW TO HELP:
1) Tell all your members and friends to use "Find Your Representative" on the right to get their Congressman's email address!
2) Have each person compose and send their own e-mail message (referring to House Resolution 191) or paste the suggested message, shown below in "What to Write."
3) In order to increase your effectiveness, have each member contact 5 friends and neighbors and ask them to do the same.
4) Also contact the members of the Committee on International Relations, by clicking here > Committee on International Relations.
5) Follow up, frequently if necessary, with telephone calls to your Representative and/or the Legislative Director. Here's an example of what to say:
WHAT TO SAY?
"Hello, this is _____, a constituent of Congressman/woman ______. May I speak with his/her Legislative Director please?"
....once connected or in voice mail >>
"Hello, this is _____, a constituent of Congressman/woman ______. I am calling to urge him/her to support and co-sponsor House Resolution 191 calling on Rumania to return confiscated church properties seized under the communist dictatorship to their rightful owners. This is an important issue for me; I hope he/she can co-sponsor the resolution."
WHAT TO WRITE?
The Honorable (full name)
Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms. (Last name). (If your Representative is a Chair
of a Committee:
I am writing to urge you to support and cosponsor H. Res. 191. That Resolution calls on the Government of Romania to provide prompt and fair restitution to the various religious communities of properties that were confiscated by the former Communist regime. While respect for religious and property rights is indispensable for a democracy, Romania’s progress in restoring properties to their rightful owners has been extremely slow. As a new member of NATO, Romania ought to be expected to live up to its commitments and thereby advance vital U.S. interests in a stable and democratic Central and Eastern Europe.
I would appreciate it if you would cosponsor this important measure.
Your name and address.
6) Please advise us as to the progress you are making, especially when your Representative agrees to cosponsor this important measure.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact AHF 1st Vice President, Frank Koszorus, Jr.
NOTE: We use this list SPARINGLY.
However, if you want to be removed from this list, please send a mail
with REMOVE in the subject line, and we will honor your request.
Find Your Representative!